CAVE SPRING ESTATE RIESLING (V)
286377 750 mL $18.95
Cave Spring's fine Rieslings have won much international acclaim. This one, from vines 20+ years old, features peach, grapefruit, floral and stony mineral flavours. Shines with turkey burgers, cassoulet or baked ham.
A Vintages Essential*
*Vintages Essentials Collection is always available in Vintages at select LCBO locations. Visit vintages.com.
TURKEY BURGERS WITH AVOCADO RELISH
By: Marilyn Bentz-Crowley
These are burgers with attitude! Jalapeño pepper and hits of cayenne add kick to mild turkey while avocado relish soothes. Teeny burgers can be made into dynamite nibbles to serve with drinks and numerous enough to feed a crowd― (see Tip below).
1 ripe but firm avocado
½ tsp (7 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1 plum tomato, seeded and finely diced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tsp (10 to 15 mL) seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander (optional)
1 lb (500 g) ground turkey or chicken
1 egg, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne
¾ cup (175 mL) fresh bread crumbs
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 25 mL) canola oil
4 buns, preferably Italian
4 lettuce leaves
1. Slice avocado in half lengthwise; remove pit. Using a rounded-tip knife, score avocado into ¼-inch (5-mm) dice. Use a spoon to scoop dice from leathery shell into a medium bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle with salt. Add diced tomato, sliced green onions, minced jalapeño and chopped coriander. Combine using a gentle tossing motion so avocado retains some of its shape. Set aside, or cover by placing a sheet of plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate for up to half a day.
2. Place piece of waxed paper on work surface. Put ground turkey in a large bowl. Stir egg with garlic, salt and cayenne; pour over top of turkey. Add bread crumbs and green onions. Using your hands, combine all ingredients with a gentle kneading motion. Divide and shape into 4 burgers about ½-inch (1-cm) thick, laying on waxed paper as formed. Cook right away or cover and refrigerate for up to half a day.
3. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add burgers; fry for 5 minutes per side or until browned and burger is cooked (165°F/73°C on instant-read thermometer).
4. Open up buns; on bottom half, layer lettuce leaves, tearing and layering to fit. Top with burger and a large dollop of relish. Serve with potato or tortilla chips.
Tip: To make into a nibble, shape burger mixture into scant 1-inch (2.5-cm) balls. Flatten and sauté as above for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To serve, reheat burgers in a hot frying pan over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Slip into a warmed mini-pita half or place on a crostini. Dab with avocado relish. Makes about 60 substantial nibbles.
Makes 4 burgers
OVEN ROASTED SWEET POTATO FRIES
2 Sweet Potatoes, unpeeled and cut into ¾”strips or wedges
1 tbsp (15mL) Olive Oil
1. Pre-Heat oven to 475˚F (240˚C) .
2. Toss cut potatoes with olive oil and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Bake 25-30 minutes until tender and golden brown, turning occasionally.
4. Sprinkle with salt.
Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.