FLAT ROCK CELLARS TWISTED (V)
001578 750 mL $17.95
The proportions of this eccentric blend may change each vintage, but generally Flat Rock’s Twisted white is mostly Riesling, with Gewurztraminer and Chardonnay in support.
Taste profile: Just off-dry with crisp acidity giving balance, it features bright aromas and flavours of pear, grapefruit, passion fruit, lime and mineral. This is an ideal sipping wine.
Pairs with: Deep-fried calamari, tempura, or sushi.
A Vintages Essential*
*Vintages Essentials Collection is always available in Vintages at select LCBO locations. Visit vintages.com.
DEEP FRIED CALAMARI WITH SAFFRON SAUCE
By: Julia Aitken
Dusting the morsels of squid with Spanish smoked paprika before frying gives them a distinctive mellow flavour. You could use regular paprika but the result won’t be nearly as delicious.
1 tbsp (15 mL) warm water
1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) crumbled saffron threads
2⁄3 cup (150 mL) sour cream
1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 lb (500 g) cleaned squid
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked sweet paprika
1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
Olive oil and vegetable oil for deep-frying
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped parsley
Lemon wedges to serve
- To make Saffron Cream, stir together water and saffron in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste until well combined. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- To make Paprika Calamari, cut the tentacles from the squid. Cut squid bodies crosswise into 1⁄2-inch (1-cm) slices, making sure all the stiff pieces of quill (the squid’s “backbone”) are removed; cut each group of tentacles lengthwise in half.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F (100°C).
- Line a large baking sheet with sev eral layers of paper towel; put baking sheet in oven.
- In a medium bowl, toss squid with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, the paprika, salt and pepper. Put flour in a clean plastic bag.
- Heat equal quantities of olive and vegetable oil in a deep-fat fryer accord ing to manufacturer’s instructions. Alterna tively, pour equal quantities of olive and vegetable oil into a large pot to a depth of 2 inches (5 cm); heat over high heat until a candy thermometer registers 375°F (190°C).
- Add squid to bag of flour; shake well to coat evenly. Fry squid in batches for 11⁄2 to 2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer each batch to baking sheet; keep warm in oven. When all squid is cooked, pile onto a warm serving plate. Sprinkle with parsley; garnish with lemon wedges. Serve with Saffron Cream.
Makes 4 appetizer servings
Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.