FEATHERSTONE CABERNET FRANC
64618 750 mL (XD) $17.95
This Cab Franc consistently over-delivers at this price point. Excellent depth and complexity of rich, dark fruit and vanilla notes accented by bright floral tones. Balanced and structured, it can be enjoyed tonight with your favourite grilled meats.
A VINTAGES Essential*
* VINTAGES Essentials Collection is always available in VINTAGES at many LCBO locations. Prices subject to change without notice.
NEW WORLD EMPANADAS
By: Marilyn Bentz-Crowley
Innovative fillings for these hand-pies are rife in the Caribbean and South America―and are now spreading north! Serve empanadas for supper, generally allowing 2 per person, with a green salad tossed with zingy vinaigrette. With excellent flaky pastry, these empanadas also make a hearty snack or terrific picnic fare.
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
¼ cup (50 mL) cake and pastry flour
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) cold salted butter
1 cold egg
⅓ cup (75 mL) ice-cold water
1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
1 lb (500 g) lean “simmering” steak, such as outside round
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, divided
¾ cup (175 mL) beef broth or stock
¾ cup (175 mL) green tomatillo salsa
1 medium leek
4 large plum tomatoes
1 to 2 large jalapeño peppers, roasted (see Tip)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) sliced sugar-snap or fresh shelled peas
½ cup (125 mL) grated Monterey Jack cheese
1. Stir flours with salt. Grate cold butter into flour or use a pastry cutter to form small pieces. Stir egg with water and vinegar. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir with a fork until almost together. Then using your hands, squeeze firmly together until dough forms. Flatten into a thick disc; cut into 8 wedges. Gently form each wedge into a flat thick disc; place in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to a day.
2. Trim any fat from steak; discard. Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steak; sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Add stock and salsa; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat so mixture simmers for 30 minutes. Check for liquid, adding more stock if needed; continue simmering for another 30 to 45 minutes or until beef pulls apart when using 2 forks.
3. Trim leeks to use only light green and white areas; cut in half lengthwise. Wash carefully under cold running water to rid layers of any sand. Drain; then very thinly slice. Seed and dice tomatoes; keep separate. Peel and seed jalapeño; mince.
4. Remove from heat; pull beef apart with 2 forks. Transfer to a bowl with remaining liquid. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in same frying pan over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until leeks are bright green. Add tomatoes, jalapeño and salt; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until hot and tomatoes have softened. Stir in peas; immediately add to beef. Mixture should be thick and moist; if needed, stir in 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 25 mL) salsa, as needed. Cool completely or cover and refrigerate for up to a day. (Cold filling and cold pastry are easier to handle.)
5. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
6. Roll out each pastry piece into a 7-inch (18-cm) circle. Place ½ cup (125 mL) mixture in centre, well in from pastry edge. Spread out slightly into a half-circle shape on 1 side leaving at least a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border. Moisten edges of dough with water; fold over pastry. Crimp edges with a fork; make a small slash in top. (Empanadas have only a slight loss of quality if spread out on a tray and frozen flat; then transfer to a heavy freezer bag.)
7. Place empanadas slightly apart on a baking tray lined with parchment or a piece of foil coated with nonstick spray. (Bake frozen empanadas right from freezer; add 10 minutes to baking time.) Sprinkle cheese on pastry. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Pass extra tomatillo salsa.
Tip: A simple way to roast a limited amount of hot or sweet peppers is to “toast” in a toaster oven for a full cycle. Turn pepper a quarter turn and toast again; repeat if necessary to deeply brown skins. Cool before peeling and seeding.
Makes 8 empanadas
Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.