THIRTY BENCH RIESLING
24133 750 mL (D) $22.95
This is a delicious, mouth-watering Bench riesling with great tart/sweet yin and yang. The nose is very lifted with lemon wax, petrol, yellow plum and spice. It's light to mid-weight (10.6%) alcohol, with a touch of sweetness to balance that electric acidity. Excellent length and tension. Score - 91. (David Lawrason, winealign.com, July 17, 2015)
A Vintages Essential*
* Vintages Essentials Collection is always available in Vintages at many LCBO locations. Prices subject to change without notice.
LIGHTENED QUICHE LORRAINE
By: Emily Richards
Quiche is an easy, tasty dish to make for brunch or lunch for guests. The classic is made with rich butter pastry and cream and whole eggs in the filling. This lightened up version gives you an earthy whole-wheat crust and a creamy filling using evaporated skim milk and fewer whole eggs. Look for precooked extra-lean Canadian bacon where you find other low-fat bacon options in the grocery store.
1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
3 tbsp (45 mL) evaporated skim milk
3 egg whites
3⁄4 cup (175 mL) skim evaporated milk
1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) herbes de Provence (available in spice aisle)
4 slices extra-lean Canadian back bacon, chopped
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) grated 2-year-old cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped
1. Combine flour, pepper and salt. Add oil and milk and stir until mixture is combined and holds together. Press dough into a disc and roll out between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper. Roll out to fit a 9-inch (23-cm) flan pan or pie plate and crimp edges. Prick pastry with fork.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
3. Line pie shell with foil and pie weights or dry beans. Bake in centre of oven for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and weights and bake for 8 minutes or until light golden. Let cool.
4. For filling, whisk together eggs and egg whites, evaporated milk and herbes de Provence; set aside. Sprinkle bottom of crust with bacon, cheese and green onions. Gently pour egg mixture overtop.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
Serves 6 to 8
Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.