303800 750 mL (XD) $24.95
From a pioneer of premium Ontario red wines, this Bordeaux-inspired blend has been crafted to perfection every year since 1989. Blackcurrant, grilled herbs, tobacco and cedar. Savour with blackened Ontario lamb, slow-cooked pork shoulder or roast beef.
A Vintages Essential*
* Vintages Essentials Collection is always available in Vintages at many LCBO locations. Prices subject to change without notice.
BEEF STEAK WITH ONIONS & BITTERS
By: Lucy Waverman
The bitters in this dish round out the taste of the sauce and balance the sweetness of the caramelized onions. Angostura could replace the Lem-Marrakech in this recipe. Check the thickness of the rib-eye for timing. It takes about 12 minutes to an inch (2.5 cm). If you do not use homemade or butcher-bought unsalted stock, only reduce until it is flavourful, and thicken with a little cornstarch and water.
3 lb (1.5 kg) rib-eye steak
2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
1 tbsp (15 mL) Lem-Marrakech bitters
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) sugar
Freshly ground pepper to taste
4 tsp (20 mL) Lem-Marrakech bitters
RICH RED WINE SAUCE
2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped shallots
1 cup (250 mL) red wine
2 fresh thyme sprigs
¼ tsp (1 mL) sugar
2 cups (500 mL) good quality beef or chicken stock
1 tbsp (15 mL) cold butter, cubed
¼ tsp (1 mL) Lem-Marrakech bitters
1. Trim fat from rib-eye (if there is any) leaving a thin layer, and remove the string. Combine mustard with soy sauce, 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, garlic, bitters and pepper. Brush over steak and leave to marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.
2. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt, sugar and some pepper. Sauté onions for 2 minutes, then lower heat to medium-low. Cook until onions are a thick and deep golden, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Season with bitters then remove from heat and reserve.
3. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
4. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil from marinade in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add steak and sear all 4 sides for 3 minutes per side or until a deep rich brown.
5. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, turning once or until a meat thermometer reads 125°F (52°C) for medium-rare. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
6. Combine shallots with wine, thyme sprigs and sugar in a saucepan (not nonstick) over high heat. Bring to boil, and boil gently until wine is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup (60 mL) about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock and reduce again until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Reduce heat to low and remove thyme sprigs. Gradually whisk in butter, and then stir in bitters.
7. Slice steak into thin slices vertically. Place on plate, garnish with onions and serve with a little sauce.
Prices subject to change without notice. Prices include container deposit fees where applicable. All products may not be available in all stores. Please see store personnel for details.