ROASTED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM QUESADILLA
By: Lucy Waverman
A juicy, satisfying quesadilla. Serve one per person for lunch or cut into eighths for a little nibble before dinner.
4 large portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 large flour or whole wheat tortillas
2 cups (500 mL) grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1 cup (250 mL) chunky tomato salsa
1/4 cup (50 mL) coriander leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Trim stems of mushrooms parallel to cap. Place in dish and toss with 3 tbsp (45 mL) oil and vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until tender. Thickly slice and divide each mushroom into 4 portions.
4. Lay one tortilla on counter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup (50 mL) cheese over half the tortilla. Lay 4 mushroom portions on top of cheese. Top with 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato salsa, another 1/4 cup (50 mL) cheese and 1/4 of the coriander leaves. Fold tortilla over and press down.
5. Place remaining oil in skillet on medium heat. Place tortilla in skillet. Fry underside until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip over and fry second side until golden and cheese is melted, another 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with other tortillas, adding more oil as needed.